Saturday, September 13, 2008

By our fruit (flowers??) we are known...

Today's gospel - Luke 6:43-49 contains that stop you in your tracks verse - "For every tree is known by its own fruit."  One of many verses (too many to count verses!) in Scripture that make me pause.  How clearly could it be?  You will known by the fruit you produce.  I find it interesting that there is no number here - the verse is not 'known by how much fruit' - but just the its own fruit.  

I mention this because I was again confronted recently by the comment that I 'must' be holy because I am the mom of a large family.  None of my children were around when the comment was made which spared me their snorty laughs as they would beg to differ.  

Let us be clear - while we are called to be fruitful and multiply - but we all know that God's plan for each family is as unique as His plan for each fruitful plant in His beautiful creation.  A pineapple plant creates one amazing fruit while other plants such as apples and oranges produce a multitude.  But as we all know from eating fruit, there can be some real clunkers in a seemingly beautiful bowl.

The challenge then is for us to be sure to give care and regard for each fruit we are growing regardless of number.  Each one unique, requiring individual care and love.  

And while I am in no position to 'change' the Scriptures, I can't but smile and wonder about the flowers we produce as a result of our desire to all be Little Flowers.  How many seeds of faith can we sow today?   Can we leave behind some buds of love for neighbor today as we go out and about in our tasks?  Would God look down on the flowers we live and leave today and smile knowing these 'fruits' of our labors are as pleasing to Him as any fruit.

May the Little Flower bless and watch over all Little Flowers!   

1 comment:

Angela said...

I enjoy reading your posts - such wonderful insight.

And thank you so much for blessing my life and the lives of the mothers and daughters of our Little Flowers group!